Doulas provide continuous physical, emotional and informational support before, during and after birth to help you achieve a healthy, safer and more empowered experience. We also endeavour to provide balanced information to help you make informed decisions about your maternity care.
Research indicates that parents who had a doula present reported their birth as easier and more comfortable than those who did not have doula present. Here are some further statistics highlighting the potential benefits of having a doula.
– 31% decrease in the use of Syntocinon (synthetic oxytocin drip)
– 28% decrease in the risk of Caesarean birth
– 12% increase in the likelihood of a spontaneous vaginal birth
– 9% decrease in the use of any medications for pain relief
– 14% decrease in the risk of newborns being admitted to a special care unit
– 34% decrease in the risk of being dissatisfied with the birth experience
– Increased rates of breastfeeding at 6 weeks postpartum
– Higher self-esteem, less anxiety and less depression at 6 weeks postpartum
– Partners feel more confident and involved with caring for a newborn.
Cited in Bohren, MA, et al. Cochrane Review, 2017.